A full list of uniform specifications can be found in the By-Laws & Constitution Article IX
As approved at the 2016 NYSBUA Annual Meeting, an optional uniform item was approved for use, beginning in the 2017 season. Charcoal slacks have been approved an optional uniform item.
- Cliff Keen
- Combo – M68
- Combo – BBS-371, BBS-375, BBS-385
- Base – BBS-374, BBS-384
- Plate – BBS-376, BBS-386
As approved at the 2016 NYSBUA Annual Meeting, an optional uniform item was approved for use, beginning in the 2017 season. A black shirt – long sleeve or short sleeve model. The following manufacturers are approved as each provides an approved shirt in the navy, red and light blue models.
- Smitty (Black w/ white trim)
- Short Sleeve – BBS-300 Black
- Long Sleeve – BBS-301 Black
- Cliff Keen (Black w/ white trim)
- Long Sleeve – UL126
- Short Sleeve – U126, or U126MSX
If the umpire chapter approves the use of this shirt option within its chapter, the chapter will adhere to enforcing the following requirements:
If the black shirt is worn,
- It is to have an embroidered NYSBUA logo in white and red stitch, in the same location on the left breast pocket, as per the embroidery on the navy blue shirt.
- A black hat is to be work with the black shirt.
- A black or gray ball bag is to be used when wearing the black shirt.
- All other uniform components remain the same.
Pull Over Jacket
Approved models for NYSBUA pull over jacket beginning 2013 (replaces former Anaconda jacket)
- Smitty full sleeve: BBS-320
- Cliff Keen full sleeve: F26M NY
A Half sleeve version of the above jacket has been approved as an optional piece of equipment
- Smitty half-sleeve : BBS-324
- Cliff Keen- This is available in long sleeve only, but the 1/2 sleeve can be made for a minimum of 24 per order
- All members of a chapter are to wear the same model jacket (either Cliff Keen or Smitty)
- By chapter vote, an American flag can be added to the back of the jacket, centered across the shoulder area (same as prior)
- Jackets without a waistband and that are tucked in are acceptable.
Uniform Shirt Combinations
When more than 2 umpires are assigned to a contest, the base umpires shall be dressed alike. That means that the base umpires shall wear the same uniform top, be it jacket, long sleeve or short sleeve shirt. Additionally, base umpires are to wear the same color t-shirt beneath the uniform top. The default is for the base umpires to wear either the long sleeve jacket or short sleeve shirt with the red t-shirt.
When umpires from different chapters are assigned to work the same contest and one umpire has an approved jacket without a flag on the back and another umpire has a jacket with a flag on the back, both umpires will be considered wearing the proper uniform.
Smitty’s brand heather gray umpire slacks
- Base pants (BBS-370)
- Combo pants (BBS-371)
- Plate pants (BBS-372)
- Base pants (BBS-374)
- Combo pants (BBS-375)
- Plate pants (BBS-376)
Cliff Keen heather gray pants approved for High School season
Fechheimer/Flying Cross heather gray umpire pants in all models
Smitty brand umpire shirts with Comfort Tech material.
- Navy shirt with red/white/navy trim (BB-S300 NY navy short sleeve)
- Scarlet shirt with white and navy trim (BB-S300 RD
- Powder blue shirt with red/white/navy trim (BB-S300 PBR)
- Long-sleeve navy (BB-S301 NY)
During the summer, an optional light blue or red shirt with embroidered NYSBUA patch could be worn since 2004. Starting with the 2008 season these shirts may be worn during the spring season as well. These shirts are to be the same model as the regulation navy blue shirt, with the exception of color. Both umpires must wear the same color shirt.
CLIFF KEEN U126 shirts with DRY FIT material are not approved for use by NYSBUA due to decision to change fabric in CLIFF KEEN U126 model shirt resulting in color change. NYSBUA members may purchase CLIFF KEEN U126 shirts that are NOT MADE with DRY FIT material.
Anaconda now has State approved shirts, as an alternative to the Cliff Keen shirt.
Long Sleeve Shirt Approved for 2005
The long sleeved navy shirt is an alternative to wear. The color of the undershirt for the summer uniform has been clarified. The red undershirt should be worn under the navy blue shirt only. The navy undershirt should be worn under the red and light blue shirts.
Plate/Base Uniform Combinations
|Plate Umpire||Base Umpire|
|Plate Coat||Long Sleeve Shirt|
|Plate Coat||Short Sleeve Shirt|
|Jacket||Long Sleeve Shirt|
|Jacket||Short Sleeve Shirt|
|Long Sleeve Shirt||Jacket|
|Long Sleeve Shirt||Long Sleeve Shirt|
|Long Sleeve Shirt||Short Sleeve Shirt|
|Short Sleeve Shirt||Jacket|
|Short Sleeve Shirt||Long Sleeve Shirt|
|Short Sleeve Shirt||Short Sleeve Shirt|
Shirt & Undershirt Color Combinations
|Shirt Color||Undershirt Color|
|Navy Blue Short Sleeve Shirt||Navy or Red T-Shirt|
|Navy Blue Long Sleeve Shirt||Navy or Red Long Sleeve or T-Shirt|
|Red Short Sleeve Shirt||Navy Blue T-Shirt|
|Light Blue Short Sleeve Shirt||Navy Blue T-Shirt|
|Black Short Sleeve Shirt||Black T-Shirt|
|Black Long Sleeve Shirt||Black Long Sleeve or T-Shirt|